It’s been a long week. A really, really, really long week.
Here’s what I have learned in the past seven days:
- January in US schools is like August all over again. Only worse. Much worse.
- Report card time does not get any easier, even when you’ve already done it once.
- North Carolina weather is ridiculous. In two days I have enjoyed 22 degree heat (that’s centigrade, folks: I’m British) and spent recess time sunbathing in short sleeves; and then woke a mere eighteen hours later to minus one temperatures that require gloves and scarf. Oh how I miss the British weather…
- It’s a long time till the next break. I don’t want to make judgements about one school system versus another, but if I had to choose between a system where six weeks on, one week off is the norm, versus fourteen weeks on, one week off… well you know which way I’m gonna go.
- Painting hallways and classroom entryways in the middle of a school day is not a good idea. Okay, so I already knew this, but it seems my school (or whoever instructed the painter) did not.
- Planning to travel anywhere in Spring Break is expensive. Very expensive.
- Having a poorly goldfish is stressful.
- Weekends are not long enough.
- I still miss home. Lots.